In the beginning there was no Baptist Church in Quito,
Tennessee. But in 1893 God's spirit moved upon the
hearts of Rev. Martin of Quito, Rev. Joe Lee and Rev.
J. D. Anderson of Smyrna and Antioch Churches, along
with thirteen charter members, to organize a new
church under the name of Fellowship Baptist Church.
The original church was built on the site where the
church cemetery is now located. However, in April 1909,
the church was destroyed by a cyclone (or tornado), and
the church was rebuilt in the spring of 1910 at its present
site at 4635 Quito-Drummonds Road. During the
interim the church members met in a school building
located next door to the present site.
Fiber glass insulation was put in the building and storm
windows were added in 1964. Also that year, the church
borrowed $4,000 to enlarge the basement. The church
voted in 1966 to air condition the church through love
offerings. Also during 1966 the halls, aisle and pulpit
rostrum were carpeted. Upon the resignation of Bro.
Owens, the church voted to buy his home to be used as
the church parsonage.
The B. E. Pouncey Memorial Library was established in
1967. In 1968 the church voted to build an educational
building and to sell $53,000 worth of bonds to raise the
money. The educational building was completed and put
into use in December, 1970. The church was able to pay
off the bonds in less than 10 years. Through generous love offerings the church was able to brick the sanctuary in 1974
A steeple was installed from the Flora Hart Memorial fund. A bus ministry, children's church and preschool church were all started that same year.
In 1975, the basement was remodeled. A new piano and
organ were purchased in 1982 and in 1983 the church
auditorium was remodeled. The kitchen was relocated
and remodeled in 1985. In 1986 the church voted to pur-
chase the house and three acres of land next door from
Mrs. Rita Cooper for $55,000. The home was used by
church staff members until the present Family Life Cen-
ter was built.
The church began a monthly newsletter in January,
1991. During that same year, a new church sign was in-
stalled and a drive-through awning was installed on the
back of the church. In 1992, an addition was added to
the front of the church to increase the size of the sanctu-
ary and new choir robes were purchased. During 1992
the church also voted to help purchase land for the new
Gateway Mission Church and the LifeBlood program
In 1997, Fellowship began the process of the most ambi-
tious building project in its history when the Long Range
Planning Committee proposed that the former Cooper
property be designated as the site for a Family Life Cen-
ter and that 50% of the total cost be raised prior to be-
ginning construction. A Fund Raising Committee was
established at that time.
In 1998, the house was moved from the Cooper property
and a survey was completed to combine the two parcels
of land. A 50-foot easement was granted to Tipton
County for the purpose of moving Fellowship Church
In 1999, the Family Life Center Building Committee,
chaired by J. C. Lemmons, began the process of archi-
tectural design, site planning, etc. A contract was en-
tered into with Rose Construction Company in the
amount of $264,813 for the basic metal building (called
Phase I of the building program).
The basic building was completed in 2000. Calls for
teams of volunteers were answered by churches around
the country and with their help the Family Life Center
was finished in 2001. The building was dedicated to the
memory of J. C. Lemmons who died of a sudden heart
attack in January, 2001.